|Published||June 3, 2022|
|Location||Wandsworth, Greater London, -, United Kingdom|
Reporting to the Head of Sustainability, the Sustainability Advisor will be the key point of contact for the Outer London business, whilst also working alongside the Central London Sustainability Advisor to meet local aspirations and deliver the Berkeley Group corporate sustainability strategy across Berkeley St Edward. They will also benefit from frequent contact with a wider network of Sustainability Advisor and Managers across the Group.
The role will be varied, focusing not only on environmental issues, but also the social and economic impacts of development activities. The Sustainability Advisor will be expected to work across multiple departments and support project teams in complying with environmental regulations and Berkeley's development and construction standards, as well as meeting the targets set out in Berkeley Group's Sustainability Strategy.
Each working week will likely be different, but key tasks may include: conducting site visits to check that operations are carried out in line with environmental best practice; collating electricity meter readings and fuel tickets for company reporting; working with the project team to identify and implement innovations to reduce waste generation; working with the Land and Planning Team to deliver a development design that achieves a net biodiversity gain; and running a training session with the Sales and Marketing Team to increase awareness of sustainability design features.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
* Adopt a proactive approach to improving performance and promoting sustainability to all staff
* Raise awareness of the Sustainability Strategy and Standards via both formal and informal training of staff
* Work with project teams throughout the whole development process (from land buying to design, product specification and construction, through to sales and customer service) to ensure Group sustainability standards and commitments are met
* Undertake frequent visits to construction sites to assess compliance with the in-house environmental management system and make recommendations for improvement
* Assist in the collation, analysis and reporting of data (such as waste volumes and utility and fuel use) to enable the assessment of performance against sustainability targets
* Keep up-to-date with the sustainability agenda, new legislation and best practice guidelines and understand how they may affect the company
* Prepare guidance to assist project teams in managing sustainability
* Attend meetings with senior management to discuss sustainability performance, including a quarterly governance meeting
* Set and communicate key tasks to those staff members undertaking graduate rotations within the department
* Work as part of the group-wide sustainability forums and working groups to share knowledge, drive good practice and implement the corporate Sustainability Strategy
* Compile written reports on sustainability performance
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
* The right candidate will hold a degree in a relevant subject and will have 1-5 years of experience in a relevant sustainability role, preferably within the built environment.
* You will be motivated and enthusiastic about promoting sustainability. You must also be consistent, articulate and resilient in your approach, with the ability to apply sustainability principles in a commercially focused manner.
* Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
* Confidence in working with people at all levels in an organisation
* The ability to motivate people to change their behaviour
* Experience of delivering training
* Good knowledge of sustainability issues within the construction/house building industry
* A broad view of sustainability, focusing not only on environmental issues, but also the relative importance of social and economic impacts of our activities